Friday, August 14, 2009


"OUR LATE FISH, HOKUSAI"

I've really been wanting to redecorate the apartment lately. Since repainting the living room seems like a very daunting task, I've decided that the next best thing is to replace all of the art. Currently, I have a lot of my own art on display, which after all these years, I've decided is pretty narcissistic. Time to share the spotlight.

Recently, I've really been into fish and birds. I was flipping through a book of Hokusai's work (of which I will devote an entire post to him later. He certainly deserves more than one) and came across a black and white drawing of a fish in water that was absolutely STUNNING. I decided that I'd search online for a print, and I came across this.

Isn't it cute? I really love this style of illustration. Flat, stylized shapes, bold color. Quirky and funny. Mixed media on board. My favorite part are the bubbles right below the surface of the water and the hints of old post cards that have been painted/gessoed over, but still make a slight appearance on the surface. Like old, not quite-forgotten memories.

It's called Our Late Fish, Hokusai and it's done by Plankton Art Co., a NJ-based illustration studio. Some others that I like:

and that.

ENJOY.

And lastly,

WELCOME TO MY BLOG.

Hope you'll find in cozy in here. Check in daily for new posts.


3 comments:

  1. I really use the word "really" a lot. Just a warning. - Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take whatever art you don't want anymore.
    On loan of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! very similar to your style.

    ReplyDelete