Wednesday, September 9, 2009

HERB LUBALIN

This is so beautiful, I just want to cry.

So, I'm still deep in the trenches of a black and white phase. I LOVE color, but lately, all I've been drawn to are simple black shapes on a white background. It just screams honesty and urgency.

While one could argue that the above example of Lubalin's typography is pretty complex, to me, it's unfussy and simple. The lines seem natural and not labored over. Elegant, yet happy.

This was completed roughly a year before he died in 1981. Read about his life and work here.

Here are more examples of his work:
1 (I've always loved this. It's cute!)
2 (This almost makes me love orange as much as I love black and white. Almost.)
3 (My thoughts exactly.)
4 (Does it get better than this?)

No comments:

Post a Comment