Monday, September 7, 2009


SIDEWALK FINDINGS: BAHAMAS EDITION


Last week was a complete whirlwind. It was completely unexpected, but on Monday, I was flown out to Nassau, Bahamas to work with Shakira on the design of her upcoming album (!). As you can imagine, I was stoked to meet her, and equally stoked to spend a few days in paradise! I ended up staying an entire week and just got back today, ironically returning to the West Indian Day Parade that happens every year right in my neighborhood. I just couldn't seem to shake those Bahamians! :)

Anyway, back to the trip. After I got work out of the way, I was able to see more of the city. One night, while sauntering back to my hotel after filling up at the Fish Fry, I stumbled upon the street art shown above.

Graffiti and other street art is everpresent–seemingly on every building and street corner, back home in Brooklyn. Some good, some bad, and some just down right ugly. But, this piece that I found on a fairly busy road near downtown Nassau really caught my eye.

There's something very stark and urgent about it. Sad, strong, and lonely all at the same time. I loved the drippy nature of the paint...the drips seemed to form themselves into shadows and delicate tendrils of hair...maybe even tears. The graphic pattern that it overlaps onto seems to magnify the organic nature of the drips.


The artist is Trinidad-born Arjuna Watson, who also goes by "Decypul". You can see more of his work
here.
Here are some of my favorites: x, xx, and xxx.

No comments:

Post a Comment