Sunday, February 28, 2010

(click to enlarge)

SIDEWALK FINDINGS: 
PARIS EDITION

I realized that I haven't written a Sidewalk Findings post in quite some time. I'm sure it's due to the fact that NYC has transformed into a frozen tundra, and I simply haven't had it in me to saunter the streets, looking for inspiration.

So, I had to dig deep into my memory (and photo archives) to uncover this image that was beginning to fade from memory.

I found the above poster plastered on the side of a building in a narrow Paris street back in 2005. If you click to enlarge the image, you'll find that that there are countless tiny illustrations that make up the portrait. Skulls and wine bottles, cottages and stars, wild birds and forests....

Quite simply and quietly, it's beautiful. 

Here in the states, its hard to come by a poster that isn't an advertisement for a movie, an upcoming album release, a new condominium building...something.

That's why I love this. Art for art's sake (or l'art pour l'art). 
What a refreshing idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment