Tuesday, February 9, 2010







TADANORI YOKOO

I first discovered Tadanori's work about 7 years ago, and was recently reminded of how INCREDIBLY powerful his work is. I stumbled upon the image at the very top of this post, in a narrow, dark hallway at PS1. This poster totally deserves better placement (shame on you PS1!). In any case, I found myself enraptured, once again, by his lovely, lovely work. The combination of photographic elements, illustration, sumptuous colors, play on scale and the humorous, thought-provoking stories that his compositions seem to tell...all result in an complete and utter inability to look away. 

I can literally stare at a poster for an hour, take a break and return only to find an element that I hadn't noticed the first time around. It's like a crazy psychedelic easter egg hunt.

See more from Yokoo here. I promise, promise, promise you'll fall in love with him too.

And click here for some of his music and film posters....yum! I'm CRRRRRRAAAAZZZY over that Beatles Star Club one! (Thanks Pink Tentacle!)


No comments:

Post a Comment