Saturday, October 10, 2009


I'M IN LOVE WITH PETER BEARD.

Fun fact: During his career, Beard has been painted on by Salvador Dalí and has journaled with Andy Warhol.

Today, while strolling downtown on Lafayette, I came across a tiny photography bookstore called Clic. Inside, I found a Taschen Peter Beard book that literally left me breathless.

S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G.

Born in 1938, Beard began creating collaged art journals/diaries at the age of 11. He layered hand-drawn elements, photography, type....basically any and everything. He traveled to Africa in 1955, inspired by reading Out of Africa, by Karen Blixen. There, he continued the creation of his journals by incorporating his own photography and layering it with animal blood.

The Taschen book is a documentation of Beard's life in Africa. The collages are SO incredibly detailed–layer upon layer upon layer upon layer of heart wrenchingly beautiful imagery.

I'm buying it (psst...on Amazon, it's almost half off!).

No comments:

Post a Comment