Sunday, November 1, 2009


FRIDA KAHLO

Top: Self-Portrait, 1948, Oil on canvas
Bottom: Frida in her studio

Today was a goooood day. I headed uptown to El Museo del Barrio, where they were having events all day to celebrate El Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). In contrast to Halloween's gloom and doom, Mexico's Day of the Dead is a happy celebration commemorating loved ones that have died. It was pretty fantastic. Lots of fun.

This of course, got me thinking about Frida Kahlo, as I saw an excellent exhibit of hers and Diego Rivera's years ago at El Museo. And then, of course, I had to watch Frida (2002) when I got home (for the million and fifth time). 

I mean, what is there to say really? Frida is Frida is Frida. Simply put, no other artist's work conjures up so much emotion for me. 

See more of her work here.

Happy Dia De Los Muertos, everyone. And of course, Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment