Saturday, November 14, 2009


FELIX GONZALEZ-TORRES + CHRISTOPHER WOOL

Untitled, 1993
Offset Print

Two days ago, NYC was a rainy mess, and on this rainy, messy day, I decided to take a field trip to Queens to visit PS1

For those who haven't been there, PS1 is an old public school turned exhibition space. The interior itself is worth a visit. It's quite a throwback, with its narrow staircases and long hallways with classroom doors that open into converted galleries. 

I found this piece on the top floor. Although there's only one poster remaining, there was once a stack, and viewers were invited to take one (or more). Thus, the stack would diminish and change as the viewer then became an active participant in the art piece.

The message is quite striking, once you get through it. I'm unsure as to what the story is behind it, but I'm beyond intrigued.

Read more about Felix here.
Read more about Christopher here. (By the way, I can't tell you how beautiful I think this is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment