Thursday, November 5, 2009



"THE WILDE YEARS"

Today, I had the pleasure of attending "The Wilde Years: Four Decades of Shaping Visual Culture". The show, put together by my alma mater, The School of Visual Arts, commemorates 40 years of the Advertising/Graphic Design program under the direction of Department Chair, Richard Wilde.

Lots of emotions ran through me as I entered the gallery CHOCK FULL of inspirational, innovative, impactful, dynamic design. It made me SO proud to be counted as an alum of such a unique school, and simultaneously made me miss taking the 6 train to 23rd street as I looked forward to a day full of thought-provoking classes surrounded by über-creative minds.

One of my favorite pieces in the entire show was Gail Anderson's poster for Gem of the Ocean (middle photo). I love the Paul Rand influence, the luscious colors, the play on scale. Mmmm. I also saw some work done by former colleagues at Sony Music (congrats, guys!) and former professors. James Victore is always a favorite.

These pieces are influential pieces of art that are reflections and definers of modern culture. 

The show is on for only 2 more days!! Go check it out. Be inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment